Nelson Learning Support
Success for Every Learner
- Specialized tutoring for children with dyslexia
- Individualized tutoring for academic writing in high school and college
- Professional, reliable, affordable
- Building on learner strengths
Services & Pricing
Academic Writing Tutoring for High School and College Students
All subjects. APA and MLA documentation.
I have helped countless students become successful academic writers and better writers in general. Support with each of the following steps, as needed:
- Identify and enhance writing strengths
- Build skills where needed
- Review previous writing feedback
- Understand the assignment and plan strategies. Set goals
- Invent: discuss, draw, dictate
- Outline and organize
- Draft via dictation or keyboarding
- Get help from your teacher or professor as needed; learn and use self-advocacy skills
- Second revision
- Edit and proofread
- Review feedback
- $25 / 50-minute session, online or face-to-face
- Want long-term tutoring for the semester or academic year? We can discuss a prepay discount to lower the cost per session
Structured Literacy Tutoring
I use a wonderful Orton-Gillingham based program called Connections OG in 3D to help struggling readers become confident readers. This multisensory program is designed for students with dyslexia, but it can help students who need a proven, comprehensive structured literacy approach. Connections OG in 3D is accredited by the International Dyslexia Association and the Center for Effective Reading Instruction. It is also the most fun, most multisensory, and most comprehensive program I know of.
Finding out that your child has dyslexia can feel overwhelming, especially sorting through resources and expensive services. While I am not a dyslexia therapist (yet), I have extensive experience teaching and tutoring dyslexic students. I am also certified to use the Connections OG in 3D program. My rates are reasonable. And, we can discuss options if you can’t afford my fee. Ideally, students need two tutoring sessions per week, an hour each.
If you are just getting started learning about dyslexia, I encourage you to explore the International Dyslexia Association website and to read Overcoming Dyslexia by Sally Shaywitz. You have every reason to be hopeful. A weakness in phonological processing can be overcome, brains can actually be rewired, and you probably already recognize your child’s unique creative, conceptual, and communicative gifts.
- Free 30-minute introductory session
- Face-to-face tutoring, $35 / hour
- Monthly prepaid plan: 8 sessions for $200
Meeting Your Needs
In Your Home
Within 25 miles of Mebane. For all tutoring.
At the Library
In Hillsborough, Mebane, or Graham. For all tutoring.
For high school and college students only.
I am an educator with over twenty years of experience teaching and tutoring students in reading and writing. I hold graduate degrees in Special Education and English and am certified to use Connections OG in 3D, an effective multisensory, structured literacy program. Read more…
Finding a Learner’s Strength
Visit My Resources Page